Re: [chrony-dev] Leap second handling

On 07/10/12 23:49, Bill Unruh wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Frank Muzzulini wrote:

Hello,

sadly I was not able to observe the leap second in June and I also
found that the online documentation gives little information about how
chrony handles a leap second. I guess it forwards the information to
the kernel, doesn't it?

You may have heard about the the problems some linux systems had and
the solution implemented by Google. (If you haven't, look at
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Leap-second-Linux-can-freeze-1629805.html).
I wonder if chrony could add something like that as an option, too.

Alternatively I can also imagine a simpler way: Pass the leap second
announcement to clients as usual and locally adapt the time as if it
were an error of one second, encountered at 0:00 UTC. If clients use
the same setting, it will work neatly for all anyway.

Well, my version of chrony seems to have handled it without any problem. If
you look at www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/chrony youwill see no evidence of any
problem .

I am not speaking about a problem of chrony, I want chrony to be a solution to other problems. Let me express this more clearly.

There are actually two problems:

1. The general one: The posix interface to get the system time (gettimeofday or clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME) does not forsee any representation of leap seconds. In practice, at least in Linux, from the application point of view a leap second looks like a back step of one second.

2. The specific one: Some linux kernels have chance to consume endless CPU after passing a leap second.

I am sure the linux bug will be fixed by the time of the next leap second, although some old kernels might still be around and new bugs might come up. The general problem will remain.

Btw: I have no permission to look at your server, but I found that one of our test machines was running chrony during the leap second and so I could see that it passes the information to the kernel as expected.

--
Frank MUZZULINI                Phone: +49 721 9497-2501
COMSOFT GmbH                   Fax:   +49 721 9497-349

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Manfred Jlg,  Manfred Schmid
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe,  Handelsregister: Mannheim HRB 102488

	Help save paper - do you really need to print this e-mail?

--- Disclaimer ---
This mail contains private or confidential information for the eyes of
the addressee(s) named within this mail only.  Any distribution or
usage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  If the context of
this message indicates that you may have received this mail by error,
please immediately contact and notify the sender and delete this mail
from your computers as well as from your mail server. Thank you!