Re: [chrony-dev] Slow bootup with git

On 25/04/2012 05:44, Håkan Johansson wrote:
Could the measurement series be done with increasing accuracy? And also the stepping?

I guess the first step is to measure the accuracy of the interrupt? If it's decent enough on a wide range of machines then perhaps we are done there?

I understand Miroslav's answer now though - if we read 2 data points then we have either 1 or 2 readings (2 if they are a second apart, 1 reading if not ie first reading was the bug). So this will take between 0-2 seconds delay to read

I guess then the question is whether increased accuracy of reading is useful beyond 2 samples? Remember that gaussian error bound decreases fairly slowly with increasing samples (1 / sqrt(n) - ?). Is the reading of 8 samples actually buying us very much?

Miroslav is fantastic at answering silly theoretical questions with hard measured facts so hoping he will put me straight at this point!

Thanks

Ed W