Re: [chrony-dev] Slow bootup with git

On 16/04/2012 11:32, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:48:14AM +0100, Ed W wrote:
Hi, I have adjusted my boot scripts to use chrony in place of
hwclock to set rtc at boot.  However, I note that "chrony -r" takes
about 8-10 seconds on my system (which blocks boot).  I haven't
re-measured the previous version, but I don't recall this delay.

I'm surfing the recent git commits and I presume it's this which
changes the timings:
http://git.tuxfamily.org/chrony/chrony.git/?p=chrony/chrony.git;a=commitdiff;h=1d2a0856b40e4cc7638f6878b9cd5891fdefbea6
Yes, that's the patch. The idea was that you can safely start
applications sensitive to clock steps after the chronyd foreground
process exited.

Could you give some thought as to whether there is some performance
improvement could be made here? I would prefer not to revert to
hwclock if possible?
You can start chronyd in background, if you don't care that the
services started after might see a step in the system clock. I think
that would be pretty much the same as it was before that commit.

Main difference would be that start-stop-daemon wouldn't see my pid file and might assume that startup failed?

Which chunk of code takes 8-10 seconds (on my very slow box) to do the RTC stuff? I guess I'm interested in whether that has any optimisation options?

Cheers

Ed W