Re: [chrony-dev] Support for another crypto hash?

On 18/10/2011 20:30, Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Ed W wrote:

>> Please don't lets argue this further.  Point is that there exists some
>> slug of code to compute hashes, that you can do with absolutely whatever
>> you wish.
>
> While it is true that there exists some slug of code, and while it is
> true
> that the author of that code has indicated that he now feels you can do
> whatever you want with it, that neither means he cannot change his
> mind, nor
> that the courts could not declare his statement of his intentions null
> and
> void. Now, you can then certainly act on the assumption that evenif it
> is null
> and void, he, or his executors, or whoever he in future assigns his
> copyrights
> to, will not in fact sue you. And I agree that that is probably a good
> bet. But once you
> have imbedded the code inside your own code, it may, or may not, be
> areal pain
> to have to rip it out in that perhaps unlikely future.
>
> It would be far better if he simply stated that he renouces all copyright
> rights, and irrevocably licenses anyone to copy it and gives others
> the rights
> to copy it as well.

I really don't get why you are trying to argue black is white here.

1) The author is very clear with his intent
2) The 2nd licence is an approved GPL compatible licence
3) The 2nd licence is actually written by the guy who was the Debian
project lead from 2007-2008

    see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTFPL
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#WTFPL
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/

Better minds than ours have argued this to death.  Please use google for
a bit before arguing this further?

My opinion is that the code is as unencumbered with restrictions as you
can get...

Ed W