Re: [chrony-dev] Support for another crypto hash?

On 18/10/2011 19:28, Bill Unruh wrote:

>> How about libtomcrypt?  Used for dropbear amongst other things.  Public
>> domain so you can repackage it under any licence you feel fit
>> including GPL
>

> As far as I know, there is no such concept as a "public domain" license.
> public domain is a state of being-- eg a statement that copyright has
> expired
> or that the item was not, for some legal reason, copyrightable. A
> declaration
> by the author cannot put it into that state. It would be far better if
> the license simply said that it granted permission to
> copy the  the software for any purpose whatsoever and under any
> conditions. Or even that the author gives up all rights forever he
> might have under copyright law
> to this software.

I'm not sure what the argument is here. He basically allows anyone to
use the code in any way they wish.

I do understand that in certain jurisdictions this may accidently incur
liability for certain mis-uses of the code, however, the code licence
allows downstream users to re-licence appropriately as they see fit, so
that's just an abstract debate...

    https://github.com/libtom/libtomcrypt/blob/master/LICENSE

However, I disagree that there is no concept of public domain software.
The author can disclaim their copyright (at least in some
juristictions).  See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain_software
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#PublicDomainSoftware

Please don't lets argue this further.  Point is that there exists some
slug of code to compute hashes, that you can do with absolutely whatever
you wish.

Regards

Ed W