Re: [chrony-dev] Support for another crypto hash?

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Ed W wrote:

On 17/10/2011 12:25, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
Hi,

currently the only supported hash for NTP and the chrony cmdmon
protocol is MD5. I'm not sure if the known MD5 weaknesses apply to the
used MAC, but even if they don't I think it would be good to
add support for a stronger hash function.

One way would be to pick one and include a code which implements it
and has a compatible license, similarly to the MD5 code. Would SHA256
be a good candidate?

Another way would be to use a crypto library like nss (we can't use
openssl as it's not compatible with GPL) and allow user to select any
hash supported by the library.

How about libtomcrypt?  Used for dropbear amongst other things.  Public
domain so you can repackage it under any licence you feel fit including GPL

As far as I know, there is no such concept as a "public domain" license.
public domain is a state of being-- eg a statement that copyright has expired
or that the item was not, for some legal reason, copyrightable. A declaration
by the author cannot put it into that state. It would be far better if the license simply said that it granted permission to copy the the software for any purpose whatsoever and under any conditions. Or even that the author gives up all rights forever he might have under copyright law
to this software.

As it is it is as if he stated that this software is red.

http://libtom.org/?page=features&whatfile=crypt

Regards

Ed W