Re: [chrony-dev] [GIT] chrony/chrony.git branch, master, updated. 1.25-pre1-18-g20a4340

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 05:01:54PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> On 18/04/2011 12:23, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
>
> > It would be interesting to try to apply only the bugfixes made since
> > 1.24 to a 1.24.1 branch and see how far it would go without conflict.
>
> I think my follow on caveat was something like: if it doesn't apply
> reasonably cleanly, then probably it's no longer a bug fix that applies
> to the 1.24 branch anyway?

Not necessarily. Sometimes I notice a bug when I'm working in a
part of the code which may have changed already, but the bug was there
even before. There probably won't be many of those.

> There is big resistance in the user community to use anything other than
> packages I think?

I think it is. So it's up to the package maintainers if they feel
comfortable with a git snapshot (and if their packaging rules allow
that).

> Plus "releases" are a good reason to post a news article, which in turn
> attracts project interest and feedback...  Can I recommend a blog post
> on release and pushing it up to the usual geek news sites?

We make announcements on Freshmeat.

> How are we looking for a release at this point though?!

I just pushed the last change and I'll make 1.25-pre2. Final 1.25
could be out in a week or two.