Re: [chrony-dev] [GIT] chrony/chrony.git branch, master, updated. 1.25-pre1-18-g20a4340

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 06:06:40PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> > Yes, git is very good at branching, but sometimes the patch can't be
> > applied cleanly and has to be backported. The time I can spend on
> > chrony is quite limited, I'd rather keep working only in one branch.
> > Are you willing to maintain a "super stable" branch?
>
> Your email address shows that you most likely know more about this than
> I, however, my experience is that with git the code has to diverge quite
> substantially before patches are tricky to back/forward/sideways port?

It would be interesting to try to apply only the bugfixes made since
1.24 to a 1.24.1 branch and see how far it would go without conflict.

> Anyway, I'm very grateful for your development work on Chrony - my point
> is simply if you haven't already experimented with using a "feature
> branch" kind of development strategy in git then please do try it.  I
> think it will work well on almost any sized project?  Roughly speaking
> it's just: fork, stabilise, fork stabilise, etc.

Ok, thanks. I'll consider it.

> > I hope we'll get 1.25-pre2 out next week and if nothing bad shows up
> > we can make final 1.25 a week or two after that.
>
> Cool - I keep trying to plug chrony when I can, and the conversation
> then starts to become - ahh yes, checkout the git version, build that...
> Sadly this spoils the plug quite a bit...

I see. They can download tarballs from gitweb though, no need to use
git. I try to keep it always "stable" and when a larger feature is
being implemented, I play with it in my private repo until I feel it's
good enough and push it all at once.

> To rephrase in yet another way: instead of developing in the master
> branch (which I claim is what is currently done), instead develop in one
> or more side branches and then when the feature is stable, pull into
> master. Generally this keeps master *more* stable (not less) and gives
> you more freedom to checkin ideas willy nilly.

I think I do something like that, but in my private repository.

> Anyway, these are just ideas and opinions, use whatever suits, just
> checking you had come across the principle - it works very nicely for me
> (and many others)!!

Thanks for the feedback.