Re: [chrony-dev] adjusting frequency on the basis of temperature

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 10:36:43AM +1100, Michael Ashley wrote:
> I have some computers in Antarctica that are disconnected from the
> internet for days (potentially months) at a time. The temperature of
> these computers can range from -40C to +30C, and over this range there
> is a large (and highly predictable) variation in the clock frequency.
>
> I wonder if chrony could be extended to allow for the frequency to be
> adjusted manually during periods where no reference clocks were
> available?

The development version supports tempcomp directive, it allows you to
specify a file which contains the measured temperature, and constant,
linear and quadratic coefficients to calculate to correction.

Currently, there is a correction limit hardcoded to 10 ppm, will that
be enough?

> I was contemplating hacking into the refclock_sock.c code to add a new
> "sample" message which adjusted the frequency. Is this a sensible
> approach? Any pointers appreciated.

The tempcomp.c file is probably a better place, if you want to
add support for socket, etc.