Re: [chrony-dev] adjusting frequency on the basis of temperature

Hi Bill,

> They really go from outside to inside (even that is surely not 30C) ?

Outside goes down to -80C or colder, inside we try to keep the
experiment at around -20C, but it can go down to -40C or so. And, in
extreme situations (e.g., in summertime when the outside ambient is a
balmy -30C) the inside temperatures can reach +30C.

> > I wonder if chrony could be extended to allow for the frequency to be
> > adjusted manually during periods where no reference clocks were
> > available?
>
> It already does allow you to feed in reference times by yourself.

It would be a bit fiddly to have to manufacture reference times to
force a re-evaluation of the frequency.

> What you really want is for it to use measurements of the temp to estimate the
> temp correction and to then adjust the clock for that change in temp.

Yep.

> crystals have varying responses to temp. and it is not even clear how linear
> it is over that range 70 c range.

Quite non-linear. However, we can model the functional
dependence. This doesn't have to be done in chrony. All I need is to
be able to feed in a new frequency.

Cheers,
Michael