Re: [chrony-dev] Time for a release?

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 10:36:19AM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> As far as I could see, ntpd tends to race for long intervals and stick there.
> There seems to be an idea that network resources are prcious and should be
> used as little as possible.

Yes, with low-mid jitters it sometimes goes with shorter intervals,
but with high jitters it stays at 10.

> Since nowadays, network resources ( unless you in
> a sattelite in orbit) are essentially free, the balance seems a bit skewed.

Not for the pool.ntp.org operators. If we want distributions to make
chrony the default NTP client (as I'm trying to do in Fedora), I think
in default configuration it shouldn't use more resources than ntpd.

> Esp with chrony, using many measurements should always be better.

It is better, until the 64 sample buffer is full.