Re: [chrony-dev] chrony on server with local time

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, J. Bakshi wrote:

Dear developers,

I have found chrony as comparatively easy to setup than ntp daemon but
provides the same accuracy, hence I am interested to set chrony on my
remote server. The remote server is a webserver hence always has the net
connection. The very first problem was chrony could not detect the net.
Hence I have done

````````````````
server 0.debian.pool.ntp.org minpoll 8
server 1.debian.pool.ntp.org minpoll 8
server 2.debian.pool.ntp.org minpoll 8
server 3.debian.pool.ntp.org minpoll 8
````````````````

poll interval 8 is once every 2^8 seconds which is about every 4 min. And it
takes a number of intervals to get a good estimate of the time difference.

*offline* removed from above

Good.

and also commented *rtconutc* as the server's H/W clock is based on IST.
After staring chrony I got an email after 5 min as below

That is a mistake. Then the system cannot handle DST for you (Mind you I have
no idea if India uses DST). Linux is centered around utc.

``````````````

On Wednesday, 31 March 2010
 with the system clock reading 12:47:12 (IST)

chronyd started to apply an adjustment of 207.517 seconds to it,
 which exceeded the reporting threshold of 0.500 seconds
`````````````````````

But after that almost 30 min. has gone and still no action from chrony. The server clock is still 5 min behind the correct IST time.

I have no idea what is going on ? Could any one give me a focus please ?

Nor do we as there is not enough info. The above error message says that it is
starting to apply the adjustment-- ie slewing the local clock to bring it into
line. It will take a long time to slew away 5 min. You can put in initstep 30 <ssome NTP source>
to tell it to make a step if the time obtained from that ntp source is more
than 30 seconds out initially. Otherwise chrony always slews the time.

Also run chronyc
and look at tracking
sourcestats

thanks