Re: [chrony-dev] makestep command sometimes makes chrony stop reading its sources

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 03:26:19PM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
> Where is that overflow occuring? Certainly the UTI functions should be good
> for much more than 40 months (or is it that  40/.08 months from now is overflowing 2038?)

It overflows in UTI_AddDoubleToTimeval when int_part is added to
tv_sec.

>  I suspect that chrony should not be trying to slew that huge a difference
> from local time-- it should either throw an exception, or just step.
> While the 1/8 second stepping of ntpd is silly, stepping 40 months
> rather than
> slewing it for the next century sounds pretty reasonable. In fact anything
> over a day  or certainly a year sounds reasonable to step.

I'd like to keep chrony to never step clock by default. I have fixed
the overflow by limiting the timeout to one week. If a longer slew is
needed it will be just periodically rescheduled. Even if takes a
century.

I'm now working on a patch for the stepping.

stepclock 0.5 5

in chrony.conf will allow to step the clock when offset update is
larger than 0.5 second, but only in first five updates.