Re: [chrony-dev] Re: 1.24-pre1

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 02:03:46PM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
In fact, since /etc is usually writable only by root, This whole file creation
process will not work in general since the chrony files are in /etc ( rather
than say in /etc/chrony which could be made writable by the user of chronyd)
Maybe it is time to make the config files be in /etc/chrony, instead of the
default of just putting them into /etc.

According to FHS in /etc should be only read-only files (there are
some exceptions).

ssh puts its files into /etc/ssh
ntp puts its files into /etc/ntp including its drift files. etc. So OK, I guess putting the files into yet another unfindable place is OK.
Note that most distros do not have a chrony user, but I guess if we are going
to use the -u we need some such user.

The correct place for the drift and rtc files is /var/lib/chrony which
is owned by user chrony so there is no problem with writing files
without root privileges.

The documentation should be updated.