Re: [chrony-dev] Build scripts.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 03:51:04PM +0000, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
Anyhow the purpose of this email is to assess peoples views on changing
the current hand rolled configure scripts for some that are more flexible
and less likely to cause problems during cross compiles. I am particularly
interested in avoiding some the mess that is currently required to get it
to build as part of the openembedded system.

Can you elaborate on what is needed to build it on the system?
Sure. The current problem is that the script is not making it easy to pass in
the linker parameter --hash-style=gnu. I can slip it in by making sure LDFLAGS
are explicitly used.

I'm not really a fan of autotools, especially in small projects with
limited portability like chrony. I think the supported systems are now
only Linux, Solaris and NetBSD, and the portability is mainly limited by
support for adjtime/adjtimex functions and their quirks.
I'd agree if chrony didn't already have a lot of rather specific hacks.
Also, if those are the only support systems, then there is a fair bit of cleanup
to do removing old windows support amongst other things.

No, that is not old Windows support, that is the remains of an attempt by Curnow to put in windows support into chrony. He never completed the task. One of the biggest
impediments is that Windows does not the adjtimex system call or an
equivalent. ntp "gets around" this by having ntpd once a second run a little
subroutine which explicitly advances the clock by the required amount. This is
clearly a hack.  But there are other problems as well.

The question really comes down to whether it is easier to maintain custom
scripts and fix build trouble when it occurs, or do a clean set of autotools
scripts that 'more or less' should work for anything anyone throws at them.
This is particularly relevant for any automated builds where a lot of compile
settings may vary.

I'd rather see the current scripts improved.
That also works, just a case of which is easiest option.

Jonathan