[xmoto-dev] overall performance improvements

Hello

I ran a few profiler sessions on the current cvs xmoto.  I am manly interested
to know what the slower parts are of xmoto. This because I need the
processing time
to do the graphics :)

./xmoto -timedemo -nowww -win -ugly -res 800x480 -level 4 -fps
and
./xmoto -timedemo -nowww -win  -res 800x480 -level 4 -fps
in the profiler.

in ugly mode:
14% text drawing
14% root paint
60% UpdateGamePlaying (94 % of that time is spent in the dWorldQuickStep)
7% RenderMiniMap

in nice mode
17% render
10% text drawing
10% root paint
60% UpdateGamePlaying (againg of course 94% of the time spent in
dWorldQuickStep)

Things like text drawing should cost less , and perhaps large parts of
the minimaps can be cached. But nedless to say that I would like the
game to spend less time in the UpdateGamePlaying dWorldQuickStep.
Anything gained here will be a great improvement of the cpu
requirements for the game.
I would like to know if there are easy wins to recude the load on ODE.
I played with
PHYS_QSTEP_ITERS by lowering it to 5 and this helped a lot, but I
don't know if the game with these settings would still be considered
to be xmoto

greetings

Kees Jongenburger