[SliTaz] Always late to the party

Hello,

First thanks to all involved for making Slitaz available. I have interest in trying this on hardware that is old. WebDT366GX. From a YouTube video I saw I see that someone else had the same idea. They had great results from what I saw in the video.

What I know I have ahead of me: Kernel compilation and video driver compiling. If Slitaz lines up with ubuntu or Debian for versions of both kernel and Xorg I can use vendor supplied touchscreen driver. If not I need to get input attach in there with xinput_calibrator. Video driver needs /dev/cpu/0/msr registers available or it crashes.

I’m not sure how reliable docs are at this point so I should ask? They are kind of hard to read as it involves adopting to a new set of terminology. Assuming a developer wants “cooking”? If docs were easier to understand I would be set but they are not so I write this email.

Is there possibility of making a VM for a development environment? Say VirtualBox? I need to be i486 or i586 and don’t want to use the actual hardware for the fact that its only 256mb of ram and 500mb hdd.

First I need to qualify that changes can be persistent? Or that changes being persistent between boots is even possible? If not its not a game changer but it would be nice. So what do I need to start up a vm and get Slitaz setup for kernel and driver compilation?

Thank you in advance

Daryl