Re: [SliTaz] udev alternatives

That's actually very useful. I was not aware that it did not need to go
both ways. However, I am honeslty curious as to wether both tazpkg and
spk implement this behaviour.
It seems to me that spk-add does not obey this behaviour, but simply
installs a package as fast as it can, dependencies being resolved only
by looking in the package.desc file (line 246 of
/usr/lib/slitaz/libspk.sh determines this, it seems?), paying no
attention to the PROVIDE variable at all. The variable itself is not
even mentioned in /usr/lib/libspk.sh, spk-add or /lib/libtaz.sh.

Actually, the only areas I've seen it mentioned, is in
/usr/lib/slitaz/libspk.sh (unset_receipt), and tazpkg
(install_package_from_get_script).

Am I wrong in this area too? I'd like to hope so, but I want to be
certain about this. The user should be able to install and use the
packages they decide, and if multiple packages provide a certain
functionality, then they (and they alone) should be able to make that
choice.

Now, this may seem like a rant, but I assure you that it isn't. I'm
merely interrested in furthering the development of SliTaz, and
currently it seems there's a good foundation for a rock solid system.
However, SliTaz isn't there just quite yet (and as such, the RC2 mark I
suppose).

I am glad that I was made clear that the PROVIDE variable need not be
declared in both files, that is at least, if not anything else, a huge
relief. Thank you!

-necrophcodr

SliTaz doc has detailed description for receipt variables:
http://doc.slitaz.org/en:cookbook:receipt

So, (IMHO) you need to add PROVIDE="udev" onto eudev receipt. Not vice versa. And it will mean "eudev provides udev functionality".
--
Aleksei