[[SliTaz] ] Re: New Kernel version in the Wok.

I will not have much time this winter - at least not before March, so I write down my suggestions as a basis for discussion about missing features in 5.0 - Most stuff is already in the forum, but I think it is good to have it all collected together :

1) Xorg:

I was testing my is testing iso on a lot of plattforms - Geode, Transmeta, Via, P II, P III,  new AMD and new Intels and in general it boots on all of them without any problems. Until now just 2 computers, where it is not booting straight to the desktop - my thinkpad X31 (ATI Radeon Mobility 7000) and Erics Atom with Intels GMA 3150.

My X31 is booting when selecting the vesa driver and I think Erics will boot also with the vesa driver. So my question - mainly to Pascal - is it possible, that we get a vesa boot option? And to take account of the fact, that 80% of computers are produced with Intel chips, it would be worth to make a full featured intel iso.

Maybe if it is not too much work, we could think of a bootline, that installs the correct video driver with the help of tazx

2) SpaceFm and Udevil:

I was fighting all the time for SpaceFm, because nobody has seen the advantages of spacefm until now, because it is just raw and uncofigured in rolling - features:

SpaceFm does not require usdisks
built in archiver for 7zip, xz, bz2, zip, rar (does not  work until now, I think it needs more builddepends)
built in backuptool (when fsarchiver or partimage are installed) for drives and MBR
command line usage
plugins (eg dropbox, ClamAV Scan, trash plugin, GPG Tools, PDF Tools Plugin, GUI burning app)
extremly secure because of a lot of options easy - configured in /etc/spacefm/spacefm.conf

to see whats possible - SpaceFM and udevil without udisks is the default file manager in the new Archbang (use pacman -Q to get the full package list)

what should be a must: I dont like, that the user is able to mount drives (security risk) - it should be only possible through the groop plugdev - easy configured in spacefm.conf

maybe as possibility for the future is to think to melt the GUI burning app with SliTaz burnbox ??? - I think Ignorantguru will also include things we need - but perhaps this should be done quite quick, as he took offtime last spring and summer, perhaps this will happen also this year.

3) Udev

As the mounting with udevil and udisk ist nor very convenient - Slackware and Porteus did interesting changes for udev - maybe we should also think of those changes - I described it here: http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/udev-changes-for-50#post-26835

4) Energy saving options

I included CPU freq scaling in the testing iso - I think it should be a must for 5.0 - the question is how we include the script - simple as I did (prints errors to log, when the CPU does not support it) or with a sophisticated script, that detects the CPU and selects the correct module

DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling) - default is, that the monitor gets black after about 5 Minutes - I think default should be that in addition it should turn off the monitor after 20 Minutes (had no time until now to look into it)

Suspend and Hibernation is activated in the Kernel - so I think it should be possible - also in the shutdown menu (same thing - no time , perhaps its already working)

5) GPRS/UMTS modem support

Aleksej started tazmodem - should be included in 5.0

http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/howto-connect-gprsedge-modem-without-wvdial