Re: The Quest for Diacritcs

> Hi all,

Hi,

> I'm testing the new cooking 20110329 and having issues about lang and
> keymap AGAIN,
> as the previous cooking. The steps i need to have diacritcs on my
> system were:

Ok, so I'm working on that at the moment. And let say we are going to
do things differently:

1. Language setting peer user via ~/.profile
2. Goodby busybox kmap, welcome kbd-base
3. Use setxkbmap for X and change keymap on the fly

> On the terminal, no diacritcs (something like "can'c~ao). I was able
> to solve it installing kbd and kbd-base and rebooting, now i can use
> diacritcs on terminal ("canção") and use the
> keyboard on GUI.

Are sure we need the full kdb package since us-acentos is in kdb-base ?

> But the output of programs on terminal were messed up (something like
> "can??o").
> Had to run
>
> # localedef -i pt_BR -f UTF-8 pt_BR
>
> to get it working.

Actually tazlocale does use localedef, it's clear you have to it
manually if tazlocale is not used. With the new way I want to use, we
will still use tazlocale for localedef and link documentation but
we will have different front-end: dialog for text system, GTK and
TazPanel for desktop.

> 2) Diacritcs on terminal & no diacritcs on GUI
>
> Then, i was able to use the keyboard on GUI, but without diacritcs.
> Had to create the file
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-Keyboard.conf with the following content:
>
> Section "InputClass"
> 	Identifier "Keyboard Defaults"
> 	Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> 	Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> 	Option "XkbVariant" "intl"
> EndSection
>
> Restaring xorg and voilà!

That one should be created by tazx when we configure Xorg. My proposal
is now to use 'setxkbmap' for X and started via ~/.profile as well.

The only thing I must fix is making correspondanse between xkbmap and
console kbdmap, since they dont use same name, for example I use

$ setxkbmap ch fr
$ loadkeys fr_CH-latin1

Does setxkbmap work for you on the fly (you dont need to logout/login
to let change take effect)

Note that with my proposal changes we will not have text mode dialog
at boot but 2 GTK GUI boxes just before starting the Window Manager.
And by the uniformize the all system and start Xorg before for a faster
boot.