Re: [cooking] booting loram-cdrom on usb ( was: [cooking] various boot modes, successes and failures)

On 28/12/2010 19:51, Philippe Lelédy wrote:
 I will try "keep-loram" which means "don't copy roofs.gz in RAM".

It does work.

cat /proc/cmdline
initrd=../initfs-lz-330LC keep-loram loram=LABEL=p1-liveOSs

mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=454112k)
/dev/sdb3 on /mnt/.cdrom type ext2 (ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=writeback)
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/.fs.gz type squashfs (ro,relatime)
none on / type aufs (rw,relatime,si=3eb61ca6)

sudo losetup
/dev/loop0: 0 /mnt/.cdrom/rootfs.gz

At last, I have now, with only one system, the choice, like I had with Slax: if enough RAM, compressed FS is copied in RAM, if not it's remains on USB. Without this feature, it would have been impossible to add more packages.

Next feature request: this is like loram-ram is no more useful because loram-smallcdrom provides the same functionality + the ability to run from the usb; perhaps it's time to merge with the third way of booting: it should be possible to expand the squashfs.xz and obtains the same functionality as RAM mode. Should unsquashfs be more expensive than unlzma done by kernel.

BTW, why speak of loram as flavors ?. They are not flavors, but variations about the way to use storage.

Ph. L.