udev fixed, but not xorg

After much too long spent figuring out what was happening, it turns
out that the fix for the udev fail on boot in an installed system is
simply to edit /etc/init.d/rcS and start udev right after the
filesystem is remounted read-write.  There is no need for devtmpfs
(which caused other problems)... but unfortunately, fixing udev has
not fixed xorg - for me, at any rate.

I am not sure, at this point, if the problem is in
/etc/init.d/hwconf.sh, or possibly tazx... I am still stuck with
800x600 resolution using the vesa driver, as I'm running slitaz in
virtualbox and have not installed guest additions (I've read the forum
posts) - so, even when I run tazx and install the intel driver, xorg
config says vesa, and changing this to intel just causes it to crash.
According to the xorg log, the larger resolutions are available, and
the hardware is getting recognized - even vga=791 works until slim
takes over - but the xorg.conf.d folder still has only generic,
default values.  Also, uncommenting the xserver_args line in slim.conf
causes it to crash.  Is this just a limitation to the vesa driver?  I
have found that 'Xorg -config :1' creates the /root/xorg.conf.new file
that's then used to populate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d -- but I don't see
how the specifics are supposed to be filled in.  The log seems to show
that xorg is aware of the capabilities of my display, but the
configuration files don't reflect this...

Any help with this, even links would be appreciated.  I could edit the
files manually, but I'd like to see this working the way it's supposed
to...