Re: The big proposal

Updating Xorg should be a priority.

--- On Tue, 10/26/10, Vadim Plessky <v.plessky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Vadim Plessky <v.plessky@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The big proposal
To: slitaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 12:08 AM

Hello everyone,

Many distribution are released as "KDE", "GNOME", "FXCE" editions, some also have "LXDE" and even "Security" flavours.

If we speak about such proposal, than I vote for this.
I learned about Slitaz from Aircrack-ng web site -

Slitaz Aircrack-ng Distribution
  http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=slitaz

As long as it is maintained/supported, I would support and promote Slitaz.

Minus'es which I observed from current version:
-  rather old kernel, some modern devices requiring kernel 2.6.35 or 2.6.36 are not supported
  I refer here to wireless adapters
- old X.org,  so video adapter detection doesn't work on some specific hardware, like my MSI S271 (testing) notebook
 Xorg has been fixed some time ago, and Fedora 13, OpenSUSE 11.3 work fine on this notebook.
 Upgrading to xorg-server 1.9 would be nice and helpful
 This means latest radeon and nouveau drivers would work out of the box, we would not have requirement for closed-source binary NVIDIA driver.

Plus'es:
- small footprint
- fast boot time

BTW: has someone considered making from Slitaz embedded flavour?
 I mean something like DD-Wrt or OpenWrt..
There is no need to target every-router-on-planet.
But making target like min. 8MB flash, 32MB RAM, Atheros or Broadcom chipset sounds reasonable to me.
Such a build would have only web interface. Which is not bad.  I consider it a plus.
Similar interface can be used later on x86 builds as well.

Best regards,
Vadim Plessky