Re: Slitaz3.0 is released, what's next ?

> Hi, I just see that 3.0 is released.
> A big thanks to all developpers and contributors for all the
> improvements you've made since one year !

Hi,

Thanks for the comment.

> Now I've some question about the future :
>
> How do you organize the development when you release a new stable
> version ? I guess that there will be some new issues reports for 3.0.
> I've understand that bug fixes, security fixes and improving
> documentation for 3.0 will be the immediate objective. Will there new
> features added in 3.0 or will stable keep features-freezed ? What
> kind of features can be added ?

In short, stable is features-freezed.

> After a little delay I guess that you will create the base for the new
> cooking (cook the new kernel, toolchains etc.) before add new
> features. Have you an idea of the calendar for that ?

Exactly, it's one of the first thing I will do (toolchain-kernel). May
not be too long, something like 1 month.

> When new cooking will be developped, how do you proceed when you pull
> a bugfix wich concern stable and cooking ? I know there's some tools
> in mercurial to help about this.

We have 2 separate wok, sometine dev commit in both if needed.

> I see that nobody have transfer the french doc to the new
> doc.slitaz.org. I will take some time to do that in few days (I've no
> time now) and make it up to date if needed.

It would be nice... frenchies are spleeping I think!

> I'm always interested by working on an e17 flavor and on a linux-libre
> kernel to have a 100% free system with Slitaz. Here's my opinion
> about that :
>
> e17 : things are not stable yet, the developpers work hard to release
> the alpha version as soon as possible. I've try to pack an
> justX-with-e17 flavor but there's somme issue so it can be better to
> wait 4.0 to provide a stable Slitaz e17. I guess it's better to focus
> on the core issues for 3.0. I'm ready to start a project when alpha
> will be released so we can test the flavor during cooking development.

I will help update all e17 packages.

> linux-libre : It's a feature I really want and I'm ready to work on.
> The fact is that it's hard to keep an up-to-date alternative kernel
> when there's a lot of change made on the main distro kernel. To have
> the possibility of using linux-libre in home-made Slitaz live,
> receipts structured in the same way that the main kernel are needed.
> I guess that kernel in stable will not be modified after the lasts
> bugfixes, but adding linux-libre directly in stable can be a bad idea.
> To make things right, a 100% free system need some applications wich
> are not in Slitaz right now, like unrar-free, gnash, etc. and some
> feature like an option to build 100% free system in tazlito, list
> packages without non-free in tazpkg and prevent automatic
> installation of non-free packages. Is there a core developper
> interested by working with me on this ? We can start the project in
> few month when the core cooking will be updated. I can create the
> recipes for the kernel but I will need help to integrate this
> features in Slitaz tools and to cook some apps. The goal is building
> an easy to use and full-featured Slitaz 100% libre flavor.

Nice idea, you welcome to commit when you are ready.

> Go Khla Yeh

Regards,