Re: Boot options for running 3.0 under KVM

On 2/23/10, rcx <rcx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've experienced a problem that is similar in some respects but different in
> others.  I had problems with the screen=auto option and submitted bug 178,
> along with a fix.  The short of the problem was that the resolution
> detection would fail and I would get kicked out of X and back to the
> console.  The full details, along with my fix, are at the link below.  With
> the fix, my graphics adapter's highest supported display resolution would be
> detected and used.
>  - http://labs.slitaz.org/issues/show/178

The bug appears to concern SliTaz 2.0. I have no issues with
SliTaz 2.0 (refer to my original post where I mentioned that I
didn't have the "low" resolution problem with SliTaz 2.0). The
problem is with the SliTaz 3.0 beta.

I just checked some of the files you mentioned in your bug
report. I noticed a few things:

1) SliTaz 2.0 is using Xvesa. SliTaz 3.0 is using Xorg. (This
is of course mentioned in the release notes somewhere.)

2) When I run SliTaz 2.0 (with Xvesa), the file /etc/X11/screen
contains the line "screen=1280x768x16". Running SliTaz 3.0
(with Xorg), I get an empty /etc/X11/screen

3) Xorg doesn't have the equivalent of "Xvesa -listmodes"

My conclusion is that Xorg is the problem. Xorg doesn't handle
exotic resolutions well, at least under KVM. SliTaz 3.0 should
offer an Xvesa option in case Xorg fails.