[Sawfish] Re: Your future plans? (Wayland)

Robert.Zenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (2024-03-28 at 0938.14 +0100):
> Yes, the Linux GUI world is changing, for the better or worse is a
> question everyone needs to answer for themselves. Arcan
> (https://arcan-fe.com/) sounds like a possible migration path, and
> there might be other options down the line, and one of them seems to be
> to simply keep using X11. Also remember that there is the BSD community,
> they didn't seem so keen on Wayland, either.

IIUC the author of following post is the Arcan coder:
https://lobste.rs/s/jqrykn/wayland_really_breaks_things_just_for_now#c_xcczzh
The powers behind Wayland seems to be pretty stubborn on getting it
everywhere and eliminating everything else (I would even say "other
Waylands" except theirs, or at least make them second-class as much as
possible; not just killing X11), but not creating or even accepting
patches for people needs (e.g. the reply about scientific software
with multiple windows, HTML anchor #c_ubl33g). Policy over Mechanism
describes Wayland succinctly.

If you keep on reading the replies, like the one about multi DPI,
Keith Packard had ideas about how to improve X11 in that field:
https://keithp.com/x-ideas/application-scaling/ and
https://keithp.com/x-ideas/pseudo-root/ . For completeness, he
proposed https://keithp.com/x-ideas/semi-automatic-compositing/ and
https://keithp.com/x-ideas/x-security/ around the same time, year
2018. So much for "all X11 experts are behind Wayland" rethoric.

That lobste.rs thread, with some of the linked pages in it, as well as
how "FOSS" companies confront some FOSS coders*, go too well with
saying "forcing down our throats". Time ago I realized that many
"FOSS" projects are not about doing the right and good thing, but
amoral business. Even companies releasing under FOSS licenses resort
to non nice methods.

Cheers,
GSR

*: to save extra emails, the ones I remember off the top of my head
https://libv.livejournal.com/27461.html
http://hintjens.com/blog:125#toc13
Add all those other that maintain a project in unpaid fashion, then
are blamed when overran by issues, specially security ones. Or those
that have to fight hard when their (A)GPL code gets into non compliant
places, like closed devices or training LLMs, but had to be very
careful when reverse engineering.