Re: [Sawfish] Focusing when a window is uncovered

hi there

> It used to be the case that when you were using point-to-focus and
> a window was uncovered (for example, if it was beneath another
> window that was unmapped), the uncovered window would receive
> focus.  That behavior has changed in recent Sawfish versions (I'm
> running 1.10.9); to get focus you have to move the mouse out of
> the underlying window and back in again.
>
> I fully understand that there is a security issue here; if a
> malicious program unmaps a window at exactly the wrong time, you
> could wind up unintentionally typing into the wrong place.
> However, in my environment I don't have to worry about that risk,
> and the new behavior is quite troublesome to me.  In one case my
> screensaver activated above a full-screen window; when I
> deactivated the screensaver I was left in a situation where I
> couldn't get focus into the window so that I could make it go
> away.  I almost rebooted my computer before I found a workaround.
>
> I did a bit of searching in the docs and the config optoins but
> couldn't find a way to return to the old behavior.  I'd love to
> turn it off entirely, but if I can't do that I'd like to at least
> have a short timeout (perhaps 2 seconds) after which the new focus
> would happen.
>
> Is there an option to control this behavior?

I can't remember exactly because it was some time ago, but I had a
somewhat similar problem (not 100% sure it was the same problem, though)
and I could fix things with this patch:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/sawfish-list/2009-November/msg00155.html

HTH

ciao