Re: [Sawfish] Re: Sawfish on Debian

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 08:31:46PM +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:

> On 13.05.2015 16:44, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> Hi,

Hi

> > The most recent Sawfish version available on Debian is 1.5.3, as far as
> > I can tell.
> It's like this, and thus the same on *buntu btw.
> >
> > Is there anything blocking newer versions?
> >
> There's no maintainer for Sawfish in Debian.

I intend to maintain sawfish.  I am a long time user of sawfish,
because it can mimics the layout of windows buttons of OS X.  I am a
long time user of Debian and package maintainer for some years.  I am
not a Debian Developer, but I have a sponsor.  Someone that reviews my
work and upload it to Debian.

The sawfish version in Debian is old but still very usable.  That's a
good sign about the quality of the code.

> > Christopher: can't your packages be submitted to the official Debian
> > repos?
> >
> I would have to read more into the debian packaging stuff, build
> packages for god knows what architectures. But first I'd need to
> apply to some mentor-programme, before they would go public... I
> don't feel like doing this. But you may post a request on Debian IRC
> or MailingList, perhaps there's someone who'll take over
> librep/rep-gtk/sawfish/sawfish-pager/ssd (not available at all).

I have prepared new packages for librep, rep-gtk and sawfish.
Currently I am waiting for my sponsor to review the work and upload it
to experimental.

If there is interest I can upload somewhere else the packages so you
can do a preview of what will be included in Debian.

> > Best wishes.
> > Mario
> >
> Regards,
> Chris