Re: [Sawfish] installing sawfish in xubuntu

On 28/08/12 17:27, Tomasz Gajewski wrote:
> I rebooted system to check this and for me xfce starts normally with
> panels and without sawfish as window manager and I have to repeat
> 'sawfish --replace' command.
>
> The only way I know I can start sawfish without panels is to choose
> sawfish session from gdm login screen.

I did the following, on xubuntu 12.04. Maybe it'll help your setup:

Created "Xsession" session which will source .xinitrc
In /usr/share/xsessions/custom.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Xsession
Exec=/etc/X11/Xsession

Then my .xsession is:

#!/usr/bin/zsh
# various other settings omitted (not relevant)
echo ".xsession parsed"
sawfish &
xfce4-panel &
exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

Finally, I had to select the new session on the login screen (it's
called Xsession), then fiddle around a little bit with xfce's
session manager to make sure it didn't try to load another window
manager as part of a saved session.

For the record, my saved session is:
30 sawfish
35 xfdesktop
50 Power Manager
50 xfce4-settings-helper

Once I got that, I turned off automatic saving of sessions.

Apart from a bit of panel flashing at startup, everything seems to be
working well. Let me know if I can help further.

Sincerely,

Rafal Kolanski.