Re: [Sawfish] Sawfish with gnome3

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 05:40:04PM -0500, Brett Viren wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Brian <oldminer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > XMonad has explicit instructions for setting it up as the WM for
> > Gnome3 here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmonad#GNOME_3_and_xmonad
>
> I followed this replacing "xmonad" with "sawfish" everywhere and left
> off the 3rd part which seems to be xmonad specific (?).  After logging
> out back to gdm3 and selecting the new session and logging back in I'm
> greeted with an error:
>
>   Xsession: unable to launch "gnome-session --session=sawfish"
> Xsession --- "gnome-session --session=sawfish" not found; falling back
> to default session.

I did a bit of experimenting with all of this.  It looks like that
if you will provide a file
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-sawfish.session
then you can start the whole thing by running:

  /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-sawfish

Still I failed to figure out what I should really put into this
'gnome-sawfish.session' to get what I want.  OTOH dropping into
/usr/share/xsessions/ a file gnome-sawfish.desktop with the
following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Gnome with Sawfish
Icon=
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/local/bin/gnome-sawfish-start

makes 'Gnome with Sawfish' to show up among session choices in gdm.
With the following in /usr/local/bin/gnome-sawfish-start:

#!/bin/sh

( sleep 2 ; sawfish --replace ) &
exec /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback

this runs sawfish as a window manager of a Gnome session just fine
and, no less important, correctly exits with "Log Out".

An advantage over "autostart" I used earlier is that in this way you
have more session choices.

It is possible that there are more direct ways to achieve the same
effect but from my "simple" attempts this is what reliably worked.

   Michal

---