Re: [Sawfish] Sawfish usage poll

Teika Kazura said:     (by the date of Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:07:02 +0900 (JST))

> Hello, Sawfish users, let us find another Sawfish usage poll!
>
> There've been 4 questionnaires in the past, and their results are
> available at:
> http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Your_voice#How_do_you_use_Sawfish.3F
>
> Questions are:
>
> 1. Do you use compositing = transparency?

I would love to, but due to Xorg bug with multiple GPUs of different
type I had to stop using it when I switched from two monitors to
three monitors.

> 2. Do you have codes which use event synthesis or replay?

what is it? :)

> 3. Do you use input translation per window? (If you don't know it,
>    see the section "Keymap transition" in the file "KEYBINDINGS".

no. but this sounds interesting. I will check this out sooner or later :)

> 4. Do you use edge-actions except edge-flip and viewport dragging
>    (formerly known as infinite-desktop), that is, our genuinely new
>    feature?

not yet, but I will try that :)

> 5. If you have any other questions you want to ask, write in. We'll
>    do another survey.

:)

> My answers:
>
> 1. Do you use compositing = transparency?
> A. No. I don't understand why you need one. ;) At least Windwos
>    does it without giving any advantage, thus no proof either.

it was very useful when it worked. I could directly compare some
"similar" .pdf files (when I was writing some document in TeX) by
overlapping one semi-transparent window on top of another. Or I could
compare two gnuplot plots by dragging them on top of each other.

> 2. Do you have codes which use event synthesis or replay?
> A. Yes.
> a) I don't like to move my hand from the keyboard over the mouse, so I
> make Hyper + some keys produce mouse motion and clicks. It's event
> syntheses, and in fact, for such simple use you don't need Sawfish,
> since there're many tools. (Unfortunately, none is standard, and most are
> not so much maintained.)
>
> b) In firefox, ctrl + l focuses the location bar. But in Sawfish
> enter/exit mode, there's the "flickering bug" [1], and I like a
> workaround.
>
> So, when I press ctrl + l once in firefox, the mouse pointer goes far
> below the location bar to avoid flickering. If I press it again,
> then the pointer goes slightly above the bar. It's because sometimes
> I'd like to have the cursor at the bar.
> During this process, each press is notified to Sawfish, and at the
> end, it's "replayed" to firefox.
>
> [1] http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Common_Issues
>
> By the way, Sawfish's event synthesis always send press and release
> in pair, but you can't pick only one of them.

looks good, thanks for explanation.

> 3. Do you use input translation per window?
> A. No. I often get frustrated by variety of "quit" keys, but
>    haven't go that far. I know Chris does, so let's wait for his
>    answer. :)
>
> 4. Do you use edge-actions except edge-flip and viewport dragging
>    (formerly known as infinite-desktop), that is, our genuinely new
>    feature?
> A. No. I'm not a mouse man.

best regards
--