|[Sawfish] Re: new compile from git source installation tests|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/sawfish Archives
- To: Sawfish General Discussion <sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [Sawfish] Re: new compile from git source installation tests
- From: Darth Emacs <darthemacs@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:51:23 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Zi9fFU2liVymFfPbKgG7lw/tusrHAhx5ajg30mSRhQA=; b=dt8nuS67gSYxifhTJAznqYDhaPLBlAhObRNeHeMbn7eWqrK0lK5cjz+tpy9ySkA7VS mGAwpIOR2uEcIppUEhv0PnFYMnKb70AeUgjIr9Bb1n7nn4deSrmZ5t86CaxD45MaUMlJ XUlVXJgJRijDhz/seZsWNA6tOhJ0f5ZE4P74U=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=J5tUXjo2jkcm9v/IC0ZLyOHBaTLdulLjoWb4PdUEMUAiMkEVHLhwgTTdsLesZLJP/5 eO5VG/x0qPr3AFlZ+S6C2xzzNKMt+4BpU+4JIixwXpG2A+mJD4aGgrZZkKmngJ3C2yWQ pY7WrMCYYI8iEmRj1hKhZmYC4QVMZbtfeJ83g=
The workaround turned out to be fairly simple. It is necessary to partially upgrade the gnome stable desktop. Only the core half dozen, dozen gnome packages need to be upgraded to testing. This is easy with apt-pinning and an apt-get install gnome/wheezy command. What was interesting to me was that the core gnome packages are already utilizing gtk 3. Wow, they are really moving with gtk3 fast. I'll write it up on the compiling from git source page in the next couple days. I'd like to install the snapshot and give that a try. Is there a specific name for the sawfish package, like sawfish-snapshot or something? Is the repository the general nanolx repo?
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Darth Emacs <darthemacs@xxxxxxxxx>
I'll run some new installation from git source tests this week. I know that a lot of folks are going to want to install sawfish 1.8.90 from a pre-built debian squeeze system with the desktop already installed. I did it without the desktop because it was easier for me. Without a workaround it will break any of the three big squeeze desktops. I have a good idea for a simple workaround when hybridizing the system. I'll check it out this week and let you know if it works. Until I do find a workaround please leave the disclaimer about building the git source code without a desktop. It will break any of the three main squeeze desktops (kde gnome xfce) if you build sawfish 1.8.90 on top of them.