Re: [proaudio] is this overlay still alive?

On 05/10/2016 07:34 AM, Hector Martin "marcan" wrote:
>> I've also noticed general issues with cxx libraries (posted regarding
>> the building of FFADO) ..
> That's interesting, I actively use libffado-9999 and it builds fine for
> me. What are the issues you're seeing?

Same here, having issues with labffado, but had no time so fare figuring
out what the problem is.
>> I can attempt to help with a couple of ebuilds.. but is it worth it, if
>> the activity is generally very low?
> I recently attempted a Git conversion of the repo which is hosted here:
>
> https://gitlab.com/proaudio/proaudio
>
> I also fixed issues with some packages and version bumped a couple of
> things. Nothing major though. I mentioned this on the list but got next
> to no reaction.
>
> I think it's fair to conclude that development activity on the overlay
> has slowed to a trickle. Ultimately I guess it's up to individual
> contributors, whether old or new, to keep it alive, so lacking feedback
> from prior contributors I think it's fair to say we should be free to
> jump in and effectively take over maintenance if nobody else is doing that.

I agree. Let's
- move to GIT(hub/lab)
- use PRs to talk about ebuilds.
- quit using mantis. (find something else)
- Move away from media-wiki and use something like GitHub/GitLab Pages.

This would, in  my opinion, improve the "up-to-dateness" of the repo a lot.
I've heard from a lot of people who switched to GitHub or GitLab,
that it had a very positive impact on their development group.

> I really hope none of the above sounds like some kind of hostile
> takeover to existing project members.... I'm really grasping for any
> sort of feedback at this stage, but haven't really gotten any.

I think a gentile takeover is the right thing to do.
I would say (you/we) should proceed, until somebody has really something
against it, which I don't think so.
As you mentioned, this repo seems to be dead (from outside),
wiki seems to be dead, issue-tracker seems to be dead, there is almost
no activity on the mailing list.
So if there is no negative feedback for a while (like 1 month or something)
I would say there is nobody who has something against a takeover.
I triggered that issue (as far as I know) around December 2015 the first
time.

So let's do it!