Re: [proaudio] Git migration

I like git more than svn. I have no objection to migrate. They are both very nice to work with. Svn served great till now, and I still I have no complain.
Dominique, I liked your idea: "we can purge all of them at the exception of 1 or 2 examples to show the file hierarchy".
Or we can purge all of them and use overlay masks for the experimental stuff.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:38:20 +0200,
Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Le Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:06:14 +0200,
> Karl Lindén <spray.sucks@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Some time ago there was some discussion about whether the proaudio
> > overlay should migrate to git. Would it make sense to do such a
> > migration or would it be too much work for now?
> >
> > What are the arguments that support such a change? Furthermore, what
> > are the arguments against?
> >
> > One supportive argument is that pull requests or equivalent are
> > pretty nifty. On the contrary, SVN is (in my opinion) pretty nice
> > to work with, but that is not a strictly technical argument.
>
> I use both svn and git, and for a so simple project, the only
> "advantage" I can see with git is it is never. Which is not a
> technical argument either. We can now argue about the never, the
> better.
>
> And well, I use a test overlay for my personal ebuilds and to work on
> the pro-audio ebuilds. If I have 2 ebuilds with the same name, emerge
> will use the one in my test overlay, and I see no simpler way to do
> the same with a private git branch.
>
> Also, my test overlay include things that have nothing to do with the
> pro-audio overlay, so it is no point for me to include it in some
> private git branch.
>
> So well, I have no use for git with pro-audio, and I am just fine with
> svn.

But if someone can show he/she have an use case for a git repository in
the context of the overlay, I will have no objection to migrate.

--
"We have the heroes we deserve."

--
Anyway it's all the same at the end...