Re: [proaudio] patchage-9999

On Friday 09 November 2012 00:56:20 Dominique Michel wrote:
> Le Thu, 8 Nov 2012 19:59:52 +0100,
>
> Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> > I am reviewing the patchage live ebuild.
> >
> > It is 2 good news with:
> > 1) it work and was relatively easy to fix
> > 2) it install everything from drobilla.net
> > 2bis) that imply it have f. dependencies:
> >
> > RDEPEND="!<media-libs/raul-9999
> >
> > 	!<x11-libs/flowcanvas-9999
> > 	!<dev-libs/serd-9999
> > 	!<dev-libs/sord-9999
> > 	!<meida-libs/suil-9999
> > 	!<media-libs/ratom-9999
> > 	!<media-libs/lilv-9999
> > 	!<media-sound/ingen-9999
> > 	!<media-sound/jalv-9999
> > 	!<media-sound/omins-9999

> > I see 2 issues.
> >
> > First, I don't know what name I should give to this ebuild. I name it
> > patchage in this mail.
> >
> > Second, with such depends, we can make all those live ebuilds to only
> > rdepend on patchage. The advantage is that new users will get their
> > favourite software installed, and everything else from drobilla at the
> > same time.
> >
> > But they (the depends) are not optimal from portage POV. If the user
> > already have some of those softwares installed, a manual unmerge would
> > be necessary.
> >
> > To change them to =package-9999 will not solve this issue, and
> > possibly add circular depends. But I didn't tested it.
> >
> > A third way would be to change all the !<package-9999
> > into !package and remove all those live ebuilds from the tree. The
> > advantage is simplicity, but non aware users will not like it, because
> > they will not find the other drobilla programs. We can add a few words
> > about this into the wiki and into 00-OVERLAY-INFO.
>
> I followed that way. And I named it drobilla-9999. I made no other
> change at that time, so you can test it and we can decide later what we
> do with the other ebuilds. Anyway, all of them are failing... So, I
> would suggest the simplest thing: just remove them.
>
> > On more way would be to make like with the non-suite, ebuilds that
> > install everything but install only the corresponding parts. It is
> > much more work and maintenance. So, I will not do that.
>
> If someone will do that, it is OK for me. Just do it.
>
> > What do you think?

When I first emerge ingen from the overlay I had to do some edits to work,
hence my commits to ingen and related software after that. I did think about
snapshots because those repo change often and I really liked ingen. Then I
read a mail with David Robillard saying that he considers ingen not ready yet
and he would prefer them not to be packaged, so I stopped updating them.. This
was some time ago so maybe this has changed now. The last time I touched them
was purely to match categories by portage when they landed there.

WBR
Gavin