Re: [proaudio] pro-audio on ARM?

On Friday 01 July 2011 13:55:55 Xavier Miller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested to test the PandaBoard: http://www.pandaboard.org
> It it a quite powerful ARM processor, ready for development.
>
> Does anybody here have run pro-audio applications on arm-based Gentoo?
>
> Kind regards,
> Xavier Miller.

Hi

Pandaboard looks awesome, I'm getting one.
I have a Sheevaplug but that's not really practical for audio use IMHO unless
you can find some niche for it. I've tried a USB audio interface with it and
it worked fine but I wouldn't want to try any processor intensive synths or
effects on it seeing as it has no hardware float unit.

Most software I've tried on the plug from portage works fine but compiling
goes at a snails pace. I haven't tried anything pro-audio related on it as I
couldn't imagine compiling all of something like Ardour and related
dependencies when I wouldn't really use it on that platform.

The Pandaboard looks to be a capable multimedia system and I will for sure be
testing more when I get one, I like the idea it has almost everything on the
board (audio I/O) and runs with such low power. I would be interested in your
findings if you get one too.

The only negative thing in my mind is having to use USB for mass storage, USB
has always been flaky for me in that regard but at least it has 2 host ports,
that eliminates using a hub for disk storage unlike the stock Sheevaplug.

I found a couple of links for info and amusement
"Pandaboard + openframeworks + processing + puredata"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiNM1mg5w4c

PandaBoard 3D Demos (I wonder how hot that CPU really was? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjcATt_aNE

Best regards
Gav