Re: [proaudio] ardour-2.9999 debug build problems ...

Le Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:13:35 -0400,
Wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> thanks Dominique.  from that document, it seems like the debug USE
> flag is actually not meant to create a debug build of the package,
> only as a "a last-chance card".  so now i am totally confused ;)
> there seems to be no automated way that my weak ebuild skills can
> conjure up to make the ardour-2.9999 ebuild prevent stripping if the
> debug USE flag is enabled.  my last attempt, setting
> FEATURES="nostrip" in response to the debug flag being set, have done
> nothing.
>
>     anyone have more suggestions?  or does one really have to use
> FEATURES="${FEATURES} splitdebug" manually every time a debug build is
> required?  it seems odd that a debug use flag produces a binary
> without debug symbols?

debug flags are USE flags. They change the way specific softwares are
configured before compiling. As such, you must enable the debug use flag
only if it is required by upstream to make a valid bug report.

In general but not always, the debug USE flag change nothing to a
backtrace content, it is only adding more verbose comments at the
console when the program is running.

FEATURES are general compilation options. You can enable them globally
in make.conf, but if you don't want it, it is no other way than to use

FEATURES="${FEATURES} splitdebug" emerge xyz

In fact, this is not a problem because you also need CFLAGS="-ggdb".

You can put the command into a script somewhere in $PATH:

#!/bin/sh
FEATURES="splitdebug" CFLAGS="-ggdb" emerge -a mplayer

From "man make.conf", it should maybe be possible to
use /etc/portage/package.env (The description of this in "man portage"
is very succinct...) instead. But I never experimented with it.

 Dominique

--
"We have the heroes we deserve."