Re: [proaudio] Real-Time for audio playback?

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Grant <emailgrant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> But in the end, there's really no way to know, right?  From what I
>>> gather, jack can add another buffer and report on it, but it's the
>>> sound card buffer that determines whether there are problems or not,
>>> right?
>>
>> No, I think Jack does know.
>>
>> In non-Jack apps the application pumps out data. If the buffers
>> overflow or run empty it's just a 'system problem' and the system has
>> failed.
>>
>> In Jack apps all audio is moved by Jack. All Jack apps are callback
>> based. Jack itself issues a demand for data from the application, then
>> if the application supplies it then everything works correctly. If the
>> app doesn't supply the data then we know where the problem is and we
>> can fix it.
>
> Here's how I understand it.  In a system without jack, there is
> communication between the system and the sound card.  With jack, there
> is communication between the system and jack, and also between jack
> and the sound card.  It sounds like jack can report on problems with
> communication between the system and jack, but we are still left in
> the dark as far as communication problems between jack and the sound
> card.

I don't think so. Jack will report if it had trouble delivering the
data to the card. It's just another xrun.

<SNIP>

> Was it the Asus motherboard?  Did it take anything else out with it?

Asus A8N-E. The crash took out the motherboard, the power supply and
possibly a disk drive. At least I cannot get the drive to spin up and
it was a new SATA drive that was the main system drive before the
machine died.

Not fun.

cheers,
Mark