Re: [proaudio] Real-Time for audio playback?

>>> <SNIP>

>>> No, I think Jack does know.
>>>
>>> In non-Jack apps the application pumps out data. If the buffers
>>> overflow or run empty it's just a 'system problem' and the system has
>>> failed.
>>>
>>> In Jack apps all audio is moved by Jack. All Jack apps are callback
>>> based. Jack itself issues a demand for data from the application, then
>>> if the application supplies it then everything works correctly. If the
>>> app doesn't supply the data then we know where the problem is and we
>>> can fix it.
>>
>> Here's how I understand it.  In a system without jack, there is
>> communication between the system and the sound card.  With jack, there
>> is communication between the system and jack, and also between jack
>> and the sound card.  It sounds like jack can report on problems with
>> communication between the system and jack, but we are still left in
>> the dark as far as communication problems between jack and the sound
>> card.
>>

> I don't think so. Jack will report if it had trouble delivering the
> data to the card. It's just another xrun.

Is that enough information to be sure the card's buffer never runs dry?

> <SNIP>
>>
>> Was it the Asus motherboard?  Did it take anything else out with it?
>>

> Asus A8N-E. The crash took out the motherboard, the power supply and
> possibly a disk drive. At least I cannot get the drive to spin up and
> it was a new SATA drive that was the main system drive before the
> machine died.

I'm really sorry to hear this.  I hope you were able to resuscitate
the drive.  Did you choose a reliable motherboard to replace the Asus?
 If so, I'm interested to hear how you made a reliability
determination.  How's temperature in the case?

- Grant