Re: [proaudio] new system 64 bit or 32 bit

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:13 AM, sonofzev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<sonofzev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay,
>
> I've been working on 64 bit for the last 2 years but am thinking of going back to
> 32 bit...
>
> This is basically for VST compatibility as I have some nice Focusrite plugins
> that came with my new Saffire pro...
>
> Is it worth it .. or should I stay 64 bit with my new system??
>
> cheers
>
> Allan

I'm running 64-bit and it hasn't been a problem, but I see no
advantages and a certain number of limitations. If my machine was to
die a hardware death tomorrow I'd likely get a new quad core 64-bit
processor and run 32-bit Gentoo on it. 64-bit is fine technically, but
none of the technical advantages are necessary for anything I do -
Jack, Ardour, composing, mixing and mastering, and sometimes the get
in the way. Why bother?

Just my 2 cents, and likely not what others will answer.

Good luck with what ever you do.

- Mark