Re: [proaudio] Rivendell package submission request

Le Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:55:49 +0100,
Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Le Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:17:58 -0500 (CDT),
> emery@xxxxxxxx a écrit :
>
> > I have ported the Rivendell radio broadcast suite to gentoo and have it in
> > the sunrise overlay right now. I wish to move it to proaudio because with
> > such a limited amount of intended users I can't expect it to ever get in
> > the main tree. And if I'm going to expose a novice to an overlay of
> > unstable packages, I'd prefer it to be yours.
> >
> > The ebuild currently lives here;
> > http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/sunrise/sunrise/media-radio/rivendell/
> >
> > More on rivendell at http://rivendellaudio.org
> >

> I try your ebuild. It compile on my amd64 box. But I am not able to run
> rivendell because I don't know anything about mysql.
>
> # emerge -vp mysql

> Calculating dependencies /
>

> [ Results for search key : mysql ]
> [ Applications found : 2 ]
>
> *  dev-db/mysql
>       Latest version available: 5.0.70-r1
>       Latest version installed: 5.0.70-r1
>
> *  virtual/mysql
>       Latest version available: 5.0
>       Latest version installed: 5.0
>
> # rdadmin
> QSqlDatabase: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
> QSqlDatabase: available drivers: (null)
>
> # /etc/init.d/rivendell start
> * Starting
> Rivendell...
> [ !! ]
> * ERROR: rivendell failed to start
>
> Ciao,
> Dominique

I made a minor change into sunrise's rivendell ebuild and get it to install and
work.

But I don't want to include it into the overlay without to have your opinion.
Sould we include it or not?

On the plus, it look to be a very good and very professional program. It
is released under the gpl. It also look like to be very complete for its
purpose.

On the minus, it is complicated to get it to work if you don't know
mysql because most of the rivendell wiki is debian centric. After, it take so
much time to setup that I don't have this time and was testing only a few
things: the init script is working and the main management program is working
and seam to interact well with mysql.

Another aspect is that it is intended for a very specific audience: the ones
that want to run a radio (on the air, a network, the web, or on a mix of those
3 possibilities). I don't think that this last point is much relevant because we
all have specific needs.

So, what do you think?