Re: [proaudio] jackd init script

On Wed Jan 28  8:54 , Dominique Michel  sent:

>Le Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:24:12 +0900,
>"sonofzev@xxxxxxxxxxxx" sonofzev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>

>> This looks like a fantastic idea, especially if it parses a config file....
>> i.e. /etc/conf.d/jackd.conf To include things like  jack ports (I use 256
>> which is double the default) driver, period, number of buffers .e.t.c...)
>>

>It is doing that (/etc/conf.d/jackd), but the advantage to also use ~/.jackdrc
>is that it will use every changes you can made into qjackctl. Well almost, you
>can save custom settings in other locations with qjackctl. Only the default
>qjackctl settings will be checked.
>
>If it doesn't check ~/.jackdrc, you will have to modify by
>hand /etc/conf.d/jackd every time you modify the settings into qjackctl.
>
>I also modified timidity++ init script in order that the timidity server will
>use jack.
>
>> Also would be good if there was a way of using some kind of script, so that
>> it could look for the prefferred device (I am plagued with ever changing
>> settings.. and everything bar playing with UDEV has fallen short (due to
>> identical devices on my system).. and I'm a little nervous to be tinkering
>> there)...
>>
>I hate udev too... but I believe that it was necessary to introduce it. The bad
>thing is that we don't really get any choice, switch to udev or die !
>
>The problem with ALSA is that it is quite complex, and I don't know how it can
>be possible to create all the needed symlink for a sound card. In theory,
>it must be possible because different identical devices must have different
>serial numbers. The best thing you have to do is to ask on the alsa email list,
>or on the alsa-devel list.

The ~/.jackdrc solution actually does seem quite good. I probably wouldn't the init
script until Ardour 3.x becomes stable. Currently in testing, if it crashes then it
doesn't seem to connect to jackd on a restart without restarting jackd as well.

I've posted the alsa-user list, but no solutions that I'm really happy with, however
there is one fairly simple looking rule someone posted which I could then create
symlinks for. I may try it tonight. I don't really want to bother the devs, nor do I
really want to sign up to yet another list.