Re: [proaudio] nvidia card and rt kernel

Le Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:50:52 +0200,
Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Le Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:39:36 +0200,
> "Arve Barsnes" <arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> > > amd64 is new to me, so I used the .config from 64 studio as a basis. I
> > > still have a lot of unneeded modules to remove from my kernel. When this
> > > is done, I will give the nvidia driver another try. If it fail, I will
> > > just buy another graphic card.
> >
> > Hope it doesn't get to that for you, but for reference: I have a
> > Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT, which is one of the cheap ones I think, and
> > seems to work just fine.
> >

> It was hardware problem. I have an external USB drive and it was just under
> the wood desk but too close to the screen. When I was changing the screen
> resolution, the interferences was hanging the computer. I put the drive on the
> floor and all is working fine now (with a very scaled down kernel, I removed
> all that is not necessary).

I forget to mention that AutoKernConf http://cateee.net/autokernconf/ was very
helpful. I started 64 studio, ran AutoKernConf and used the auto generated file
as a .config in gentoo. After a "make oldconfig" (I keep the finger on the
Enter key to accept all the default choices), a few things was missing like the
primary console or the sound drivers, but it was not hard to figure out what
changes was needed.