Re: [proaudio] Updated rt-sources?

Le Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:19:20 +0200,
Juan Aguado <juantxorena@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> > Agree. gentoo-sources 2.6.25 is being stabilized, and there are
> > realtime patches for 2.6.25 ([1]) and newer genpatches ([2]). Plus, I
> > have problems when installing nvidia-drivers-173.14.09, which have
> > just been stabilized in amd64 (related to 2.6.25 sources). I haven't
> > tracked the problem yet, but since nobody complains about it neither
> > in the forums nor in bugzilla, and I read about similar problems with
> > quite older versions of drivers and kernel caused by the latter, I
> > suposse that my problem is rt-sources-related.

You must take in account that the nvidia driver is not supported by the kernel
developers but by nvidia. And nvidia is making this driver for a vanilla
kernel, not for Ingo Molnar patches. The consequence is that no warranty of any
kind can be made if you persist to use the nvidia proprietary driver with a rt
kernel.

It is a very good and open source alternative: the in-kernel nv driver and I
would recommend its use in any case on an production audio workstation. The nv
driver will not use any hardware IRQ and this will spare a lot of traffic and
noises into the hardware. This is also the only one driver that can give you a
100% stable and reliable system with a nvidia card and the rt-patch. And this is
a very good 2D driver that will give you outstanding 2D capability with those
cards.

Cheers,
Dominique

Mes 3 projets préférés auxquels je contribue:
 * FVWM-Crystal, le bureau basé sur FVWM:
      http://fvwm-crystal.org
 * AlsaPlayer, le lecteur audio avec contrôle de vitesse en continu:
      www.alsaplayer.org
 * L'overlay pour la MAO sous gentoo:
      http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page