Re: [proaudio] : Compile a 2.6.25.4-rt5 kernel (was : 2.6.24.7-rt7 -

Wow,

That's really poor performance for your system.... however, I wouldn't use qjackctl as the measure it doesn't seem to take into account the way different sound cards work....

e..g. with 44.1 khz I use p 128 or p64 with a very high number of frames (e..g. n=42) on a delta 1010 (also on a core 2 duo but have had similar performance (but with less plugins on an athlon64 3500)..... this definitely isn't running at the high latency that qjackctl reports due to the way the card itself works... I tend to just believe what the readout from ardour says (Which i know isn't supposed to be correct) - However a latency of over 3 ms is  detectable by the ear when moving a slider e.t.c... but not noticeable  when under. that's simply going by the readout from ardour and my own perception (Which is the most important thing anyway when it comes to doing audio work)...  I also find that qjackctl, while an excellent tool for routing audio and midi adds quite a bit of overhead and start jack from command line but run qjackctl when I want to do something routing wise.

Use the lightest WM you are comfortable with.. steer away from Gnome and KDE, take a little time to learn one of the other ones.(Fluxbox  is particularly good, but my friends tell me XFCE is a good compromise between performance and features)

I have also found that jackd (not mp) actually seems to run at a lower latency on some configurations...

Another thing to consider ... turn off any speed stepping (powersaving functions) on the CPU (easiest if it is disabled in the kernel)...

If you are overclocking, stop return to normal clocking but fixed at your CPU's highest rated frequency.. (e.g. for an e6600 run at 2.4 Ghz) and then make sure your RAM is running at the tightest setting that it can for latency... This provides a marginal improvement... SUre you might not get as many softsynths running but

Disable any automount systems for cd-roms e.t.c... This will reduce the amount of polling going on....

In the past people have even recommended unloading your network card... If you are behind a good firewall and have no web apps running (e.g IM, mail monitors e.t.c,) then you can probably avoid this bit (I do)

That's a few tips that I tend to work by and seem to get me a good working latency..... rebuilding my system this weekend (at least one good thing about still being in a monarchist country, Iget a long weekend this weekend, "God Save the Queen, it's a fascist regime)... going to delve into the 2008 beta while I repatch my entire studio....... fun fun fun ...

On Thu Jun 5 20:41 , Mysth-R sent:

Hi,

Finally I compiled a 2.6.25.4-rt5 without any issues.
I have just downloaded the linux-2.6.25.4 kernel and apply the patch-2.6.25..4-rt5 on it.
Is there others patches that I could apply to improve the performance of my kernel ?
In fact, I can't use a latency (referring to Qjackctl) lower than 16ms (256 frames / 3 period / 48000Hz) without cracks in sound.
I use jackdmp and freebob on a Intel Core duo 2.

Do you have some suggestions ?
Thank you,

All the best,

Mysth-R