Re: [proaudio] PulseAudio Howto

Le Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:44:17 +0100,
Goran Mekić <meka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:12:16 +0100
> Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I done a little PulseAudio howto on the wiki:
> > http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=PulseAudio
> >
> > Any comment will be appreciated. You can reply to this mail or use the
> > discussion page on the wiki.
> >
> > You can also complete the article with more examples or information.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dominique
> >

> 	Few things are missing. First, requirements (packages, for start, and
> minimal computer configuration, if possible - it depends on what you want, i
> guess). Second, I can not tell what config is for server and what's for
> client. Speaking of client/server configuration, you could give example of
> two computers acting like client and server. Other than that, it's a great
> howto.

The config in the howto is for local use, not for client/server config. I will
think about it. But I would use jack over the network in a professional audio
setup, not pulseaudio.

The stability of pulseaudio is not very good. In fact, I would even not use
pulseaudio at all in a production pro-audio workstation.

Another bad thing with pulseaudio is its huge processor load. And it
increase when jack's latency is decreasing. I get 25% processor load just to
play a mp3 and do a 44.1 to 48 kHz resampling with a jackd latency of 10.7 msec
(On a P4 @ 2.4 GHz).

The good thing with PA is that it is very easy to use (after the setup) (In
fact, too easy, because you can do conflicting things with the mouse and
padevchooser...). I know that some distributions are switching to PA as default
soud server. So, I think that we can except some stability improvement in the
near future.

Cheers,