[proaudio] skipping nonexistent drives at boot time

I'm looking for information on kernel command line options for
skipping the probing of certain drives at  boot time. Would anyone
know where that might reside? I cannot seem to get the right words
into Google.

I have an older machine that doesn't have anything on hda-hdd so there
is a lot of wasted time while booting this machine and waiting to get
to hde. I know there is an option as I used it years ago on this
machine and am hoping to find it once again.

Thanks,
Mark