Re: [proaudio] FATAL: Error inserting realtime module

If I'm right this was covered recently before because I had the same problem. Realtime module conflicts with commoncap and possibly capability too. Don't load them and see if realtime loads.

On 3/24/07, Brad Fuller <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Brad Fuller wrote:
> Dominique Michel wrote:
>> Le Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:20:15 -0700,
>> Brad Fuller <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>>

>>> I'm following the directions on the wiki for the RT kernel at:
>>> http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_%28RT%29_Kernel
>>>

>>> and I'm at the point of modprobe'ing the realtime module:
>>> # modprobe realtime gid=18
>>>
>>> But, I receive this error:
>>>
>>> FATAL: Error inserting realtime
>>> (/lib/modules/2.6.16-rt29-tglx4/extra/realtime.ko): Invalid module
>>> format--
>>>
>>> I've seen some messages after googling that the module might be
>>> compiled
>>> with a different version of the compiler, but I compiled the kernel and
>>> then the module seconds later. Does anyone know what this is and how to
>>> fix it?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> brad
>>>

>> Sometime, a simple reboot can fix it. But more generally, it mean at
>> something
>> goes wrong when compiling the kernel or the realtime-lsm. It can append
>> sometime when you modify the config and recompile the kernel. It is
>> recommended in such cases to run mrproper as explained in the README
>> in the
>> sources. For that, move your .config in another directory as the
>> kernel sources
>> (it will be erased otherwise), issue a "make mrproper", move back the
>> .config
>> file, run
>>
>> make oldconfig; make
>>
>> remove /lib/modules/2.6.16-rt29-tglx4
>>
>> run "make modules_install and reinstall the kernel. Reinstall
>> the realtime-lsm.
>>
>> If you are lucky, it will be enough to remove
>> /lib/modules/2.6.16-rt29-tglx4,
>> "make modules_install" and reinstall the realtime-lsm.
>>
>> Be sure at /usr/linux point on the right kernel sources too.
>>

> Thanks Dominique. That did indeed get rid of the error.
> # modprobe realtime gid=18
>
> came back with no problem.
>
> But, another one cropped up!
>
> # modprobe commoncap
> FATAL: Error inserting commoncap
> (/lib/modules/2.6.16-rt29-tglx4/kernel/security/commoncap.ko): Invalid
> module format

I found the problem with this, I loaded realtime module first and so
commoncap wouldn't load. I unloaded realtime

# rmmod realtime

and the loaded commoncap

# modprobe commoncap

and commoncap loaded. Unfortunately, I'm back to where I started, I can'
t load realtime module, I rcv the same error as above.

This makes me think of two possible problems: the order of loading the
modules are incorrect or commoncap and realtime are mutually exclusive.

Any thoughts?

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com