Re: [proaudio] jackd refuses realtime - it used to work? [SOLVED]

On Monday 19 February 2007 08:52, Johan Ekenberg wrote:
> On Friday 16 February 2007 12:06, Dominique Michel wrote:
> > Le Fri, 16 Feb 2007 00:58:29 +0100,
> >
> > Johan Ekenberg <johan@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
> > > Using 2.6.19-rt15, realtime-lsm and jack 0.102.20, I did a lot of audio
> > > programming a few months back. Now I'm trying to continue where I left
> > > off, but jackd refuses to run with -R.
> > >
> > > "required capabilities not available"?
> > > realtime-lsm is loaded, it's the same kernel and jackd as before. I'm
> > > in the audio-group as always.
> > >
> > > When running as root, it also stops after "waiting for signals":
> > > ===
> > > root@duo:/home/johan# jackd -v -R -d alsa
> > >   < the same as above until: >
> > > running with uid=0 and euid=0, will not try to use capabilites
> > >   < again as above until: >
> > > 8107 waiting for signals
> > >   ==> <again the ~5 second delay>
> > > jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
> > > Aborted
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Yes, audio using ALSA still works normally. The hardware has not
> > > changed. The system is configured according to
> > > http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_%28RT%29_Ke
> > >rn el
> > >
> > > I never actively tried to use PAM/RLIMITS, but I see
> > > that /etc/security/limits.conf has: # REALTIME support for audio group
> > > users @audio          -       rtprio          100
> > > @audio          -       nice            -10
> > > @audio          -       memlock         250000
> > >
> > > Could this be causing a conflict with realtime-lsm? I tried rmmod
> > > realtime and jackd -R but no improvement.

Case solved: The ALSA Capture Port was disabled (don't ask me why). I still
don't understand why this is a problem for jackd only when using -R
(realtime), but at least now everything is working normally. I was staring so
hard at the realtime stuff that I missed the obvious when checking alsamixer
settings.

My humble apologies to the list for wasting peoples time. Perhaps someone
googleing for a similar error will be helped by this thread in the
mailinglist archives...

Best regards,
/Johan