Re: [proaudio] jackd refuses realtime - it used to work?

Le Fri, 16 Feb 2007 00:58:29 +0100,
Johan Ekenberg <johan@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hi!
>
> Using 2.6.19-rt15, realtime-lsm and jack 0.102.20, I did a lot of audio
> programming a few months back. Now I'm trying to continue where I left off,
> but jackd refuses to run with -R.

> "required capabilities not available"?
> realtime-lsm is loaded, it's the same kernel and jackd as before. I'm in the
> audio-group as always.
>
> When running as root, it also stops after "waiting for signals":
> ===
> root@duo:/home/johan# jackd -v -R -d alsa
>   < the same as above until: >
> running with uid=0 and euid=0, will not try to use capabilites
>   < again as above until: >
> 8107 waiting for signals
>   ==> <again the ~5 second delay>
> jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
> Aborted
> ===
>
> Yes, audio using ALSA still works normally. The hardware has not changed. The
> system is configured according to
> http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Realtime_%28RT%29_Kernel
>
> I never actively tried to use PAM/RLIMITS, but I see
> that /etc/security/limits.conf has: # REALTIME support for audio group users
> @audio          -       rtprio          100
> @audio          -       nice            -10
> @audio          -       memlock         250000
>
> Could this be causing a conflict with realtime-lsm? I tried rmmod realtime
> and jackd -R but no improvement.
>
> /Johan Ekenberg - Sweden

Hej Johan !

With 2.6.19 kernel, the realtime-lsm name is realcap. So you have to change it
in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6:

realcap gid=18

If you are using older kernel too, you can have 2 lines, one for realtime, the
other for realcap. It will work, you will only get an error message for the non
existing one with the kernel you are booting.

I have not changed anything in /etc/modules.d/realtime. It is still

options realtime gid=18

and it seem to work. It look like I can remove that line anyway as I am
using /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 for that.

PAM-rlimits and realcap (or realtime) will not conflict because PAM-rlimits
will take control over the realcap module. So it make no sens to use both and
is better to configure and use only one of them.

Ciao,